Skip to main content

I almost gave in to activating my Facebook account..

Around this time last year, I decided to deactivate my Facebook account along with my Tumblr account. First and foremost, my reason was plain: social experiment. In this era of dependency to social media to achieve love and belongingness, I want to know for myself if I can live without it. 

I did. My experiment was successful!

Here are the things I realized: It is not about the likes, shares and follows that make you 'friends' with anyone. If you are friends in FB and you guys are exchanging comments in this platform, it does not necessarily reflect in real life. Once I deactivated my account, there remained my true friends, who reached out, and asked where am I, how am I doing, if I'm still alive. Anyway, I've known them from the start. I have this gift of knowing if a person will stay in my life or not. I perceive their aura as cue on how to deal with them. From then on, I enjoyed the simple life of waking up to peaceful mornings/nights, without excessive drama and hate from the most popular social media network in the whole Earth. Don't get me wrong, Facebook is a very important tool in reconnecting with friends and family offshore. It's an amazing way of disseminating information as well as, acquiring knowledge. It's just that, before, I noticed my attachment to my phone because of peeking to other people's lives thru Facebook. It's not healthy, you can't avoid comparison, and envy. I hate it. I don't want myself competing and thinking that I'm far behind in life because I want what they are having in life. Once I disconnected, I've found different things about myself, what are my other strengths and potentials, as well as, what are my limits at the moment. 

Although, there are disadvantages to this. I can't share to the world how funny life is, thru my daily observations in our surroundings, which almost everyone are ignoring. I used Facebook to remind people how beautiful life is despite the daily toxicity in this urban, polluted place we live in. I wanna make others see that other people's lives are also a blessing, and that we are all connected. Also, I can't document how funny my mom is. She enjoys reading her slips of the tongue and all her unconscious ways of expressing her beautiful self. She has been pleading that I get my Facebook up again just because of that..she wanna see how I see her: a magical creature. 

Furthermore, I noticed that, before, I used FB as my primary source of information about current events, which I realized is not healthy. For one, some people are using this platform to share fake news, and people as they are faithful to our dear FB, believe every single bit of news.From this, I started referring to newspapers, I sometimes watch TV! Good Lord! I don't like watching tv, I view it the same as I see Facebook, minus the fake news. 

The most important thing I acquired from this experiment, is how to be human again. How to interact with other people, regardless if it's an awkward, accidental meet up at the mall, without touching my phone. Human interaction is one of the biggest component in life that social media networks took from us, since time immemorial. And it feels nice and a little tricky, because I felt different. There's this gawky attitude people exude because of too much exposure to social media. I'm not sure if I'm conveying this right, but to put it into simpler terms, their persona in Facebook is totally different from how they are in person. I don't know if it's just me who noticed, or I'm sharing this view with another human being..I don't know.  But that's how I see it, even my sister has that. 

There are a lot of things I've seen and observed from this experience, but those are just the ones that weighed more for me. 

After a year, I kind of feel obsolete but I'm not gonna regret this in the long run, for sure. It's just that, I don't know what's up with my friends before, but like I said, it just shows who my real friends are. It may not sound as comforting as I want it to be, but that's reality. Also, there are times at the office, that they are talking about things I don't know, because they are all on Facebook. I still have to ask, or  there are times that they have to explain it to me first, so I can catch up. And these are my reasons why I almost gave in to the idea of going back to Facebook...maybe to reminisce, reconnect, and peak a little to my 'former' friends. But as I debate about it with myself, I thought, it's not necessary to rely on Facebook to rekindle friendships, because if life wants you to go that way and see them again, it'll happen. I almost forgot something, another reason why I started thinking of going back is that I can't brag enough of how old but healthy my dog is. Ading is a 12 year old toy dog, and she's not an inch near the finish line. I asked her to stay until my first born, so she can take care of him/her whatever.  I'm faithful that she will, and she's very cute not to brag about!My little white furryfurfurball. 

I guess, what I really want to say in this is that, I'm hoping that humans will not let go of their innate human nature, caring, chivalrous, honest, and loving to every living thing in the face of our planet.I hope there's more human interaction than Facebook messages. I hope there's more date nights than video calls. I hope there'll be more smiles in real life than thumbs up and heart reactions. Because at the end of each day, we cling to warmth of someone we love and not our cold, inanimate smartphones.

That's it mofos. A lonely blog (again) coming up next..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alamat ng Lipistik

Friday again! Happy weekend world! Again, I ask myself, how can I fucking write something happy and witty, if all I can do is sulk over the idea or feeling of being unwanted. I can’t even say that I like myself. Feeling ko nagkakaron na naman ako ng episode of the inevitable. Pero I can get over this, I know. Una sa lahat, patawad sa mga nagbabasa ng blogs ko, ang boring kong tao. Dead kid. Wala ng nagaganap na interesting sakin, maliban sa madami akong natututunan sa work ko. Yeth, I’ll tell you about my job. Nasa harap lang sya ng magandang building ng San Miguel. Nung 2015, wala pa tong building. Nag work kasi ako dati sa tabi netong building. Big hole lang to non. Dead end. Tanginang train of thought, napuputol, humihinto. Im cursed!!! Ohmaygaaaad! Gagawa na lang ako ng quick alamat! Ang topic for today, mga bata, ay tungkol sa alamat ng lipstick. Bilang mahilig sa lippie ang ating may akda, gumawa sya ng kwento tungkol sa kung paano nagsimula ang pamahid sa labi n

SINGKONG BUTAS

Sa hirap ng buhay ngayon, ultimo barya mahalaga. (kaganapan sa jeep umagang pauwi ako) Pasahero: bayad, wilcome.(lalakeng mukang papasok palang, ayoko maging judgmental, basta papasok palang) *abot bayad,abot sukli. bilang.kunot noo ni kuya passenger* P: magkanu ba hanggang wilcome? Driver: unse. P: subra ka singko. D: Salamat. *********************************************************************** Sa sobrang corrupt ng mga tao sa tabi-tabi, sa taas tass, mas may dangal pa ang ordinaryong tao na nagttrabaho sa ilalim ng araw kaysa sa mga taong nasa malambot na upuan at malamig na opisina. Nakakalungkot isipin na sa kabila ng pagnanais nating magluklok ng tapat na opisyal ng gobyerno, tila parang may masamang elemento ang nagluluklok sa kanila sa pwesto. Ano nga ba ang masamang elemento na naghahasik ng lagim sa gobyerno?PERA. Sabi nila, hindi ang pera ang sumisira sa buhay ng tao, kundi ang pagmamahal at pagnanais na magkamal ng limpak limpak na salapi. Aanhin mo ang

Barasoain Church - yung nasa sampung piso

disclaimer: Lahat ng pictures kuha lang sa humble kong android. raw lahat at hinaluan ng konting kaartehan ko, na minsan nakakainis dahil di naman kagandahan ang kinalalabasan. More practice!! Barasoain Church in Malolos, Bulacan Yung simbahan sa sampung piso: Kung titignan mo yung pera, mukang malaki yung simbahan..Pero syempre iba na ang mundo ngayon!! baka lumaki na ang mga tao at lumiit yung simbahan. Parang damit na nag sshrink pag nalabhan. Pero syempre!! joke lang mga yan.:p Magkamukha naman yung nasa sampung piso chaka sa actual kong nakita, andun yung puno na di ko alam kung legit bang yun padin yung puno, o apo na to nung original na puno. Syempre iba na ichura ng paligid nung simbahan.Yung nasa gilid ng bell tower eh may kalyeng tinayuan na ng mga maliliit na bahay at tindahan. Nakakita din ako ng ilang nagbbisikletang kuya na nakapara, nagbebenta ng kwek kwek,siomai, palamig at iba pang tnutusok. Sa kabilang side naman,